Thursday, September 13, 2007

Co existence..

Almost all the recognized professions have a code of ethics they prescribe. Behavior of the professional is defined in such a code.. Should there be a code of ethics for the society at large. and if there is one..am adding it to my wish list to read ;)

I studied a subject called moral science all through school.. I'm sure all my elders studied it in some form or another. Is moral science just a subject in school? Isn't is supposed to bring in virtues like punctuality, civic sense, concern for others,honesty, cleanliness within a person for life??
Have people really forgotten to co exist and live with other humans?

I remember how in Delhi in my huge "colonies" (as we used to call our apartments) ,of few hundred families, i'd greet everyone with a smile.
Evening walks and games with friends would have fillers in the form of
Namaste aunty/uncle - for my hindi speaking neighbors and
Namaskaram Mama/Mami - for all my Tam neighbors

and here in Chennai..in a flat of just 8 families, I have hardly interacted with anyone. The only time everyone meets is to fight over problems of water in the apartments/ sewage or seepage...
I was in a bit of shock when i moved here..cos for the first time when i greet someone..i get no response...shocking..

Why is a simple gesture lacking..arent we taught to greet everyone with a smile?Is is just for few marks that we study moral science.?

No comments: